Like many other sectors, municipalities are faced with the problem of an ageing workforce where baby-boomer’s are retiring and our HR departments are finding it difficult to fill vacancies. MISA BC has recognized that we must reach-out to promote careers in municipal IT to raise awareness of what a great career path it is. To this end we have been attending university and trade school IT association meetings to talk about the benefits of a municipal IT career.
There are many benefits to a municipal IT career including:
- Salaries ranging from $50k to $175k
- Most municipalities offer three weeks vacation to start, overtime, banked time, sick time, statutory holidays + bonus “government only holidays”, flex time/compressed work week (in some municipalities)
- Full benefits including pension, dental, medical, extended health, life/long term disability insurance – employer pays mandated and optional contributions
- Municipal Pension Plan: “freedom 55” reduced pension, unreduced pension at age 60. Take it easy or “double-dip”.
- Lots of opportunity for training, growth, advancement and mobility between municipalities
- Be part of a team that makes a difference in your community!
How To Find a Municipal IT Job:
CivicInfo BC maintains a job listing website used by local governments across BC for posting open positions. You can narrow your search geographically, by employer, posting date, and/or by professional category: Information Technology The CivicInfo BC website also offers RSS feeds for those who want to receive notifications of new job postings as they happen. It is an awesome service and must-have resource for anyone seeking a career in municipal Information Technology.